Thursday, April 24, 2008

Hubbies...

I met David over six years ago. I was a freshman in college, he a sophomore. Literally one of the first things I said about him was, "May the Lord help the woman who marries him!" God must have found this hilarious, because I do believe the Almighty said, "That's you, sucker!" We knew each other a year, Dave actually crashed my first date with another guy, then we dated a year, engaged a year, and now we've been married almost four years.

I was talking with my girlfriend the other day of just how much my husband has changed since we met and even married. In fact, I think I could get an annulment for fraud-marriage under false pretenses. Yet, he keeps me laughing, which I really need given the stress level of things.

David grew up all over, his father is in the oil business. Although he called several places home, in the fifth grade, his family moved to Houston. So when we met, I thought I was getting a good city boy, one who had a little culture, wanted to stay in a bigger city, and had high ambitions. Growing up in a small town, most of the boys around me didn't have plans for college, dreams of being anything but cowboys. I still love them all, and am proud of my raising, but I knew it wasn't for me. Little did I know that my future husband would envy my upbringing and hometown.

In the 8th grade when Dave took his aptitude test, the results were that he's best suited to be a worm farmer. Who gets those results? I didn't even know that was an option! Then I took him home to meet my family, and he learned a whole new way of living.

Dave now loves to hunt, reads magazines about guns, joined the NRA, and almost always wears cowboys boots. Seriously, where did I find this kid? He would love nothing more than to move to my hometown and raise our family. Dave hates the city, hates the traffic, would love to have land and be left alone on a farm.

He keeps us on our toes. Thinks its hilarious to stir up his crazy Democrat of a wife, or generalize some history term to watch me squirm!


In honor of Dave, who I have nicknamed "the human garbage disposal," (the man really will eat anything!) I have posted on of his favorite recipes. Dave loves main dishes--he doesn't want to mess around with desserts if there is a steak or pasta on the table...

Finco Chicken
Chicken Breasts/Tenders
Lemon
Salt/Pepper
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Butter
1/2 Tbsp floor
White wine (optional)
Chicken stock/broth

-Take white vein out of chicken. Pound out the chicken a little. Add salt, pepper and few drops of lemon juice over chicken.
-In skillet, pour little EVOO with small pat of butter. Brown chicken on both sides over medium heat.
-When chicken is fully cooked, take out and add flour to the drippings and wine/or chicken stock. (If sauce is too thick or thin, add either flour or stock.)
-Serve over warm cooked pasta (elbow, penne, etc.)

*I'm not a big fan of white wine, so I switched it to the stock. I was taught this recipe, however, by using the wine.

This recipe is full proof! I learned this recipe from the wife of my college Italian professor. She was Egyptian and wonderful. I loved them so. I make this dish at least once a month to remember my lovely Fincos. Enjoy!

No comments: